If you are a new baby’s parent, then one of the many decisions you will have to make is what baby’s playpen to buy. There are so many options available, and it can be overwhelming!
In this article, we will go over some factors that you should consider when selecting your baby’s playpen, as well as our top 3 picks for the best baby’s playpens on the market. Also be sure to check out our complete baby playpen review article, before committing to a certain model.
Hiccapop Baby Playpen
Overall Rating: 5/5
- 2 XL doors unzip for easy access from either side
- Locks securely from the outside for ultimate safety
- Reflective UV material protects the little ones from the sun
- Wind-proof safety locks ensure that the dome stays securely fastened
Angelbliss Baby Playpen
Overall Rating: 4.5/5
- Upgraded exclusive patent snap design makes the disassembly very fast (No tools required)
- The four-sided breathable mesh gives you a quick glimpse of your little one from any angle
- The highly resistant-duty oxford material offer not only stability but but it is also easy to clean as well
- With a large size of 79*59*27 inches, there is plenty of room for toys, friends, or even pets
Graco Pack N Play Baby Playard
Overall Rating: 4.3/5
- Folding feet and wheels allow for 20% more compact fold
- Has mesh storage pouch for keeping baby’s essentials right on playard
- Airy mesh on all sides provides maximum ventilation
- The durable frames make this playard ideal for travel
What Is A Baby’s Playpen?
Before we get started, it is essential to understand what a baby’s playpen is. A playpen can best be described as an enclosed area where your child can safely and comfortably play while you are in the same room or even working elsewhere. Playpens also give parents peace of mind knowing that their young children cannot crawl around areas where they may get hurt. Playpens give parents and caregivers the freedom to do what they need without always watching over their children.
How To Choose A Playpen?
The following are some factors that you should consider when selecting a playpen for your little one.
- Size of Playpen: Make sure to measure the area where you plan on placing the playpen before purchasing it, a baby playpen for small spaces could be a good alternative! If possible, select a baby’s playpen with an adjustable height so that as your child grows and becomes more mobile, you won’t have to buy another one.
- Portability: Some parents prefer a playpen that can be quickly taken apart and moved around the house or even outside in your backyard. If this is what you are looking for in a baby’s playpen, we recommend checking out our portable picks below!
- Quality of Playpen: The quality of the baby’s playpen is an essential factor to consider when shopping. If you buy a low-quality product, it will not last long and may even have safety issues that could pose a problem for your little one. You need to choose a lightweight but sturdy material at the same time, so you should aim for metal or plastic baby playpen.
- Safety Features: For your baby’s playpen, look out for features such as locking mechanisms to prevent your little one from accidentally opening up the gate and crawling away. If possible, select a model that comes with an attached changing table, so you don’t have to purchase it separately!
- Ease of Cleaning: Babies are messy! Make sure that any baby’s playpen you buy is easy to clean and doesn’t have too many nooks and crannies where dirt can accumulate.
- Storage: You want a playpen that has as much storage space as possible without compromising on the size of the baby’s play area! This way, you’ll be able to store all your little one’s toys within the playpen, so they don’t get lost.
- Price: Of course, the price of your baby’s playpen is also something to consider before making a purchase! You want to buy a product that will not break the bank and fits within your budget. At the same time, remember that you should never sacrifice quality for lower prices! If you find a good deal, that is great, but do not choose an inferior product because it seems like the best bargain.
- Additional Features: As you are shopping for your baby’s playpen, check out what other features each model has to offer. Some models come with toys attached which can help keep your little one entertained while they are inside the playpen. Others may come with a canopy to protect your child from any harmful UV rays during those hot summer days!
Assembly, Comfort, And Durability
When it comes to a baby’s playpen, you want a product that is easy to assemble and doesn’t require much time or effort. It would help if you also had something comfortable for your child – this means looking out for features such as padded walls or flooring, which will give them added comfort while playing inside the playpen. Finally, make sure the baby’s playpen is made from a durable material that will last for several years. You want to choose something that can withstand everyday use and won’t break down after only a few months of being used by your little one!
What Is A Playpen, Playard, Or Pack ‘N Play?
Even the most popular baby stores, such as Amazon, Walmart, BuyBuyBaby, and Babies’R Us, use all three names interchangeably. So don’t worry if you’re a bit perplexed; you’re not alone.
A playpen, playard, or pack ‘n play is a small enclosure where kids and infants can play safely. Some portable baby play pen fences are made of plastic or wood, while others have a metal frame with mesh walls.
The enclosed area creates a safe place for your baby to have independent playtime without constant supervision. This allows you to cook, clean, or take a short break. Children, on the other hand, should never be left alone for an extended period.
You can also buy playpens that are portable kid’s beds, which is something many people like. While some playpens and play yards are essentially “free-standing” placed directly on the floor, you have playards that may be utilized as portable child’s beds. In both cases, the walls on each side are tall enough so your child can’t climb out.
Playards are small, foldable, and simple to put together. You can also get 3-in-1 playards with a built-in bassinet, napper, and changing table.
The bottom line is that the category name playpen encompasses both free-standing baby gates and playards. While Pack’ n Play is a well-known brand of current playards.
What Are Playards Used For?
A player is where your baby can sleep, lounge around, and even take a quick nap. Pack n Play’s are great for traveling because they fit easily in the trunk of a car or overhead storage on an airplane.
While there isn’t much use to buying just any playpen since you won’t be able to do much inside of it, playards come with a bassinet and changing table.
You can put your baby down for some naptime or quick rest using either the top portion, which acts as a bassinet or underneath where there’s a diaper-changing area. This way, you don’t have to bend over every time your child needs something constantly!
What Is The Difference Between A Playpen Vs. Playard?
The term “playpen” refers to a modest item of furniture that allows your baby to remain secure while you are occupied. Playpens have evolved considerably during the last century, from being made of vertical wood bars to being constructed of plastic, metal, and mesh.
Playards usually come with a soft mattress, but this isn’t always the case. This is why many parents place a floor mat within the playpen area.
Playards, like the Pack’ n Play, are more modern and feature all of the bells and whistles today. A detachable bassinet, feeding station, storage, shelves, mobiles, storage, night lights, and other amenities are included in these extra features.
A further improvement is the collapse and folds features, which allow parents to store and transport the playard quickly.
The most significant distinction is the cost, as playards are typically more expensive than a basic playpen.
What Is The Main Difference Between A Crib Vs. A Playard?
The significant distinction between a crib and a playard is mobility and durability. Metal foldable frames are used to create playards made of lightweight materials like plastic and mesh. On the other hand, a crib is generally made of wood and may be taken out the door frame without dismantling the whole bed.
The modern playards available for sale are very much comparable to a standard crib. As a result, many parents ask whether the playard is okay for their child to sleep in.
The simple answer is yes, a player may be utilized for sleeping, but it isn’t as relaxing as a crib.
A crib typically necessitates a mattress that is five times thicker than a playard mattress. As your kid grows, the playard’s thin mattress may become insufficient, and an upgrade will be required. Both cribs and playards may be used as a secure location for your child to play, in addition to sleeping.
Pros And Cons
- Both can be used to play and sleep (night or naps)
- Playards take less space in the room
- Playard can be easily folded and stored away to free up space
- Playard might require an extra mattress to be more comfortable
- Cribs are more durable because they stay in the room
- Cribs are usually more stylish than playard
- Cribs are not portable
- Cribs are more expensive
People Also Ask:
Can My Baby Sleep In A Playpen?
Yes, your baby may sleep in a playpen. However, it is not the same as sleeping in their crib.
A playpen has much less space than an actual bed would provide and also does not come with any extra features regular beds do, like extra-thick mattresses.
Playpens are designed to keep babies safe while you are busy doing other things around the house. They can be used to keep your child safe and secure when playing, taking a shower or even cooking dinner, or even quick naps, but overall they can’t substitute a baby crib 100%
How To Clean A Baby’s Playpen?
You should clean your baby’s playpen at least once a week to keep it sanitary and safe for them. The best way to do this is by wiping the entire surface with warm water and dish soap. You can also use baking soda or hydrogen peroxide to use chemicals to prevent irritation of sensitive skin if need be. Most playpens can be disassembled quickly and thrown into the washing machine; for even quicker solutions, you can use a vacuum cleaner.
The most important thing to remember when cleaning a playpen is that you need to make sure the surface gets completely dry before allowing your child back in. You can accomplish this by leaving it out in a warm room for an hour after washing or using a hairdryer on low heat if needed. If there are any spaces between slats, you should also try to get in there with a cotton swab to ensure it’s spotless.
How Long Does The Average Baby Stay In Their Playpen During The Day?
The typical baby stays in their playpen for around three hours during the day while awake and then another hour after they fall asleep.
When deciding whether or not to get a playpen, one of your first considerations should be how often you will use it. If you plan to use it every day, you will want something more durable and long-lasting.
If you only plan to use it every once in a while, you can opt for one of the cheaper models available because they generally don’t last as long anyway! However, if your child falls into the former category and spends several hours per day playing or sleeping inside their playpen, then you’ll likely want to invest a bit more money.
How Do You Fix A Hole In A Playpen?
If your playpen has a hole in it, you might be able to fix it using some patching product. You can use either glue or tape for this task, depending on the material that is being affected.
However, if there are several holes throughout an area of the frame, then you may want to consider replacing it altogether instead so that your baby isn’t at risk of falling or getting injured.
You must try to fix the hole as soon as possible because if the playpen is not in good condition and becomes damaged, it may become a safety hazard for your child. You can also use this opportunity to look over all the joints and connections on the playpen to ensure they are all sturdy and secure.
If the hole is located on the bottom of the playpen, you may need to replace it sooner rather than later because your child might be able to pull off some pieces or climb underneath them if they feel like playing under there!
Are Playpens Safe For Babies?
Yes, playpens are safe for babies as long as they do not contain any sharp edges or protruding pieces that could pose a safety hazard. You should also make sure to cover the underside of the playpen with plastic and secure it to the floor so your child won’t be able to climb underneath! They can also lift panels and get their arms caught underneath, so please make sure to check for gaps and spaces that your child can fit through.
How To Keep The Baby’s Playpen From Moving?
If your baby’s playpen is moving while they are inside it, then one quick solution to this problem is to get something sturdy and heavy enough that will weigh down the base. The most important thing here would be to make sure whatever you’re using does not pose a safety hazard for your child!
You can also consider getting some non-slip pads for the bottom of your playpen; this is especially useful if you have hardwood floors. You can also get some padding that will prevent any slats or panels from digging into your baby’s skin when they climb up on top of them!
One last thing to keep in mind would be how often you use your baby’s playpen. If you use it very often, you should get something more durable and long-lasting so the frame won’t collapse while your child is inside!
How To Assemble A Portable Baby Playard?
The first step to assembling a portable baby playard is to ensure that the box contains all of the necessary pieces. Depending on how heavy some of the individual components are!
Once you’ve got everything out, it’s essential to look over each piece carefully and identify any hardware (nuts, bolts) that might be missing. This is an excellent time to make sure everything looks like it’s in perfect condition and that no pieces are damaged or bent out of shape!
Once you’ve got all the necessary parts, you can start assembling by following along with the directions provided or going online for a video tutorial if available.
Here is an assembly video tutorial of the Graco Pack n Play Travel Dome LX Playard:
Playpens are a necessity for every new parent so they can have some time to put their feet up and take care of themselves. If you’re looking into buying one, it’s important that you choose wisely because not all playpens are created equal! Here is what you should look for if you want the safest and most durable option:
First, make sure there aren’t any sharp edges or protruding pieces on your baby’s playpen.
Next, cover the underside with plastic before securing it to the floor; this will prevent them from climbing underneath. It also helps keep those pesky bugs out as well!
Finally, assembly instructions come in handy when putting together your portable baby play yard – be sure to follow along closely and read carefully if needed!